Our Handful of Children

Hunter, William, and Wyatt

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Marcus takes center stage

Marcus is to provide today’s entertainment!

In the goat pasture there exists a cute little pond. Which fills up with water when there is water in the ditch. It is surrounded by trees and the stumps of trees that have been cut down in years past. It is generally a peaceful place where the imagination can easily run wild. My children on a large number of occasions have been told that they are not to play IN the pond. Mostly because they tend to venture into the water while wearing their shoes. And we are a little bit frightened about Hunter going in and getting himself into trouble. Actually we are a LOT frightened by that possibility, but the pond is not deep. Our kids have of course been disobedient on a number of occasions and have lost privileges and been sent to bed early more than once for breaking this rule. ( I can not say that I blame them for playing in the pond- if I were a kid I know I would!) Anyway about 2 weeks ago my engineering children decided to build a bridge across the pond and since they are not well educated to proper building techniques we wound up will a big pile of boards and pieces of wood in a big pile in the middle of the pond. Jon and I both rolled our eyes when we saw what they had done, gave a few non-committal threats to our kids and proceeded to ignore the mess in the pond.
Yesterday morning Stiles, Marcus, and Hunter found themselves outside. Mom and I were fine with the fact that they were not inside. Boys need to go outside and play on a regular basis. Now of course the beautiful green grass and paved driveways could not hold their attention for very long and they found themselves playing in the pasture with the goats. And soon the lure of the shade from the trees and the undisturbed water was too much of a temptation for them. They removed their socks and shoes of course, They had learned their lessons about getting their shoes wet, and began to imagine and play in conjunction with the pond. I can only guess what the game really was. After piecing together their story this is what I think happened. Marcus was holding his stick horse-weather he was riding or leading the horse is not important. And decided to cross the poorly engineered bridge. Somewhere along the way he fell. Now because of the horse in his hands he did not put his hands out to catch himself and this is were the story starts to become more interesting. Marcus’s fall was stopped short when he hit he nose against a - tree stump! And then he says his head hit the ground. Apparently there was quite a lot of blood and anxious to not be in trouble for playing where they shouldn’t Stiles stepped into help. Apparently Stiles ran to the house and gathered up a large number of Kleenex and ran them out to his hurt brother. Stiles said that when he got back outside that “Oh man, there was a lot of blood all over Marcus!” Stiles proceeded to clean up his brother and get rid of the evidence, but Eventually Marcus decided that Stiles care was not cutting it and headed to the house. When Marcus opened the door I could tell from his cries that he was definitely in need of some help. As he made his way up the stairs to my bedroom and I saw my boy who’s hands were covered in blood- his face was for the most part cleaned off thanks to Stiles efforts but the rest of him was soaking wet and muddy. But the most apparently wrong thing was that his nose was already swelling and beginning to turn a black and blue shade. Upon first questions I was under the impression that he had fallen out of a tree and hit his face on a stump and then hit the water. It was not too far fetched of an idea, they are always climbing in those trees, and he was sobbing quite uncontrollably it was hard to get all of the words. I had him strip off his soaking wet clothes, because he was also shivering uncontrollably and I was nervous that he might go into shock for his injuries and I got him some dry clothes and tucked him into my bed with the heating pad under him, after we had washed off the majority of the rest of the blood. In those few minutes I could tell that his nose was causing quite a bit of pain and it was looking like the possibility of it being broken was pretty good. I had sent mom out to drag in my other boys and when she returned I asked her to look Marcus over and give me her opinion. She took one good long look at Marcus and agreed with me that it looked like Marcus nose was broken. But that the rest of him looked okay, but we should take him to a doctor and get him checked out. Well since I am suppose to be down in bed, things got a little complicated. Marcus became hysterical about seeing a doctor, he did not want to “get shot” ( I have a pretty hefty bruise on my arm where I was given shots of medicine to stop my labor and I think he was associating the two). So I called my neighbor and asked if she would come watch the kids while mom and I ran Marcus up to the Doctor. She was there about as fast as a woman can be and Mom, Marcus and I set off to get some medical expertise. After some x-rays the diagnoses was “unbroken” which was a big relief to me and to Marcus and now he simply has a nose swollen to twice it’s size and two partially black eyes.
The moral of the Story is that when Jon returned home from work, hours later, that afternoon he chided Mom and I for getting all panicked and running him to a doctor when “HE” could “CLEARLY” see that Marcus’s nose was not broken. “yeah right!”

2 comments:

Camille said...

Just a typical day at the Woodin Nickel!

Heather said...

So glad it's not broken. Yeah, I'm sure it was clear as day to Jon that it wasn't. ;) Dad's: they think they know it all!