Our Handful of Children

Hunter, William, and Wyatt

Thursday, February 5, 2009

Laura Noall Steel

My cousin Laura Past away Feb 1 2009 from compications associated with lupis. She was 30 years old and left behind a husband of 4.5 years and two little boys. Her Sister asked for some memories of Laura so they could be compiled. I hope no one minds me sharing my memories of my dear cousin.

My Memories of Laura Noall Steel
By, Monica Woodin (cousin)
(our mothers are sisters)

Laura was almost exactly one year older than me. My birthday is May 10th hers was the 12th. Her birthday is one of the few birthdays that I always remember every year when it comes around. Laura always impressed me with her unabated fears. She never seemed to be shy about anything. And she always seemed to try to please those around her. She loved whatever she was doing and talked so passionately about whatever it was she doing it made you want to get on board and do it too. I often felt jealous about all the adventures she seemed to be having.
I was so excited when she Married Collin, because he was a good Idaho boy from Gooding. And I knew they don’t make husbands better than that. In fact their wedding reception in Gooding is one of my most favorite memories of Laura. At that time my husband was being deployed to Iraq, and even though you would think we would rather be doing other things than spend the afternoon at a wedding reception it was one of my favorite days leading up to his departure. I was so happy for Laura.
Most of my memories involving Laura also involve Laura’s sisters Libbie, and Sarah, as well as our two cousins who are about the same age. Becca, and Amy. Because I grew up in Idaho and Laura lived in Utah It was only a few times a year we would get together and play. And Play we did. My favorite trips were the desert trip and how our parents must have hated us as we sang made up songs at the top of our lungs and ran unrulely through the parks. One of my best memories of those trips was when we were traveling to “the secret camping spot” and all of us girls were together in the back of a van. And we imagined up the craziest things, one of which we were all very sophisticated people having a tea party. Don’t know why but it has always stuck in my brain.
When Joanna, Laura’s baby sister, was born was when I saw Laura the most unnerved in my life. We were all a little freaked out about the whole situation. When Aunt Carols water broke while they were visiting us in Idaho and they asked us to go get Grandpa and Uncle Brooke, we ran barefoot across the lava rock and stickers and sagebrush to tell them they were needed at the house right then. My feet sure hurt later but I don’t think Laura winced even once.
Other fond memories involve hours in the pool being sun burnt to a crisp while our hair turned green. And then at night having our moms threaten us with our lives if we didn’t quite down and go to sleep. ( we broke a few light fixtures ) And when we got older the many games of Cosmic Encounter and Scotland Yard that would last for hours or sometimes minutes.
I loved watching the fireworks in SLC from grandma’s backyard on the 4th of July, and watching the parade just down the street. We almost always managed to pick a spot to sit and watch the parade that was infested with ants and then we were sorry for it later. We would ride the rides at the park and make ourselves sick and worn out. I think our mom’s loved that part.
There were many fun memories at Grandma’s house in Salt Lake. Hide and go seek. Climbing the walls-literally. And taking Zues, Aunt Debbie’s dog, for a walk around the block. Not to mention playing in Grandpa’s bus. (which of course we were not suppose to do.)
The times when we were in public places like the museum or the Zoo or even the airport and we would always find a way to make our parents wish they didn’t know us, everything from getting stuck in the elevator, to making general nuisances of ourselves on the moving walkways and escalators.
When ever these fun filled visits came to a close I was always so very sad to see my dear cousins go and our farewells, we would try to drag it out as long as we could. Laura’s visit here was far to short and I will miss her dearly. We had a fun filled visit with her and I can hardly wait to see her and Grandma again. Perhaps she will be singing some crazy song like we used to as we hiked through the Utah Desert. In any case I’m glad she was able to drag out her stay as long as she could.

Love you so much Laura!

Love the original Funky Dude. Monica.

3 comments:

Heather said...

I'm so sorry you lost such a good friend and cousin. You know I love ya.

Cindy said...

I love family! You have reminded me of how important family memories are.
I am deeply touched by this post and I wish you and your family the peace that is needed.
Love ya lots!!

The Briscoe Bunch said...

Thank-you for this post i didn't know your cousin but have a wish that i could have shared her with you and your family she sounds like an amazing person and will be dearly missed. You wrote this beuatifuly and I'm deeply sorry for your loss.