Our Handful of Children

Hunter, William, and Wyatt

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Christmas Celebrations

Dallan, DEC 30 2008

Greetings from the land snowed under. We had a delightful Christmas. The toys were opened, the clothes ignored, The chocolate smeared, and the surprises surprised. Jon and I did not try to strangle or hurt each other Christmas Eve in regards to a new bed. Jon had the brilliant idea that a few days before Christmas we could “break” Erica’s bed. Then haul it to the shop to “fix” it and have more than 12 hours to paint the thing. This sounded like a good plan. So When She was watching a movie I removed a few choice bolts and then let the bed lie in pieces in her room. Later when I sent her to her room to “pick up 10 things” She soon emerged from her room with the biggest crocodile tears and heaving sobs while carrying her foot board into the kitchen to “Show me that ‘Hunter’ broke her bed!” I expressed my concern for her broken bed and assured her that Daddy could fix it out in the shop. So Jon came in later and carted the “broken” bed to the shop. We painted the little pink bed a beautiful metallic blue and were quite excited to set up the beds. After the kids were sleeping (which was gratefully by 10:30) we began our assembly project. Jon ventured out into the freezing cold snow storm to bring gifts in from their hiding placed out in the shop. I pretended I was working on something inside. We had everything put together and the Christmas tree presents ready to go by 12:30. At about 7:30 we heard the footstep pounding up the stairs and we were soon swarmed over by our eager children. They coxed and prodded and pleaded with us to please get out of bed. We did and we were soon amid flying packages. We had our kids open up their clothes first. And Erica decided to try some of her new clothes on. So she picked them up and hurried off to her room before Jon and I realized that she was bursting in on her big Christmas surprise. I heard a cute little girl gasp and then a giggly shriek before I realized what had happened. Jon and I jumped up and raced to her room to see her reaction. She was of course looking a beautiful new daybed all white with pink flowers and all done up in her strawberry shortcake bedding motif. She was standing shockingly still with her mouth hanging open. Jon asked her what “that” was. She said “Dad you fixed my bed.” Jon and I laughed and asked her if Dad made her bed bigger “Yes you made it so big!” Hunter just wanted to get back into his crib. He is slowly adjusting to the toddler bed. We were snowed in for Christmas. All of the roads were closed or had advisories to only travel them in the case of an emergency. So we hung out at home. Then the next day we slowly packed up and headed to the farm on some pretty yucky roads. We arrived safe and sound with out any problems and settled into visiting and playing at the farm. Until Monday afternoon when the roads were clear again and we figured we had better head home. (we had eaten all the food by then anyway) . Now I am trying to dig myself out from all of last weeks laundry. It is a huge mountain but like every week I do manage to conquer it only to have it built up around me again next week.
Hunter continues to make unbelievable messes, Just during this letter he tried to drink a bottle of strawberry flavored conditioner. The bathroom is a bit slippery now. He then tried to chase the conditioner down with the syrup left on the table from breakfast. The kitchen is a bit stickier now. And currently he is covered in a brown chocolaty hue. He has spread candy wrappers near and far and we had to order our children Christmas morning to hide all candy back into the depths of their Christmas socks or else they would lose it to Hunter. He even ripped the wrapping paper off the gift to Uncle Rex from Mom and Dad! I think that Hunter slipped under the radar for being Naughty this year. Because Santa did spoil him with more toys than anybody else in this house.
Anyway I can hear the laundry has beeped and that means I need to get back to work. We love you and Hope you had a great Christmas. I loved talking to you. And yes one day I will write my book. But in the mean time my most important job is that of a mommy and not that of an author. Keep working hard. Your most important job right now is to be a missionary. Keep up the good Work and keep writing each week. We need your letters like we need oxygen. Otherwise there is no way Mom would be able to let you go away for so long. Have a great new years celebration even if you are suppose to be in bed by a decent hour.

Love Monica and all of her snot-nosed goblins.

3 comments:

Cindy said...

Erica is such a cutie! That is the cutest response she has so much faith in her daddy. (It brought a tear to my eye) I am glad to hear you all had a great Christmas and I wish you a happy New Year!

RaelynB. said...

I love your detailed writing about Christmas and your kids. I sit here and laught out loud. I liked the part about Hunter and the conditioner and the toaster. sooo funny. But there is light at the end of January. (maybe then you can have an uninterupted bath). WE are so exited to go to Hawai with you guys. it will be fun. Have a great New Year!

Julie said...

It's crazy how I see you at least bi-weekly and I learn so much from your blog. I love your Christmas stories. What good memories.