Our Handful of Children

Hunter, William, and Wyatt

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

RAIN, BARF, & GOATS

Dallan JUNE 15 2009 11: 51pm

So pregnancy has me at the computer at midnight because my body is in a total warp zone and doesn’t know how to get out of it for at least 3 more months. No honestly I was sleeping until my pregnant body kicked me out of bed and then tried to throw up on itself. So now that I have had a midnight bowl of honey nut cheerios and I am still trying to get a very nasty taste out of my mouth I realize that it is almost Tuesday and I have neglected my brother and all of my other avid readers! So I will let you know about my week and you will sit and waste your time reading about it in hopes that there is something great to read about. There isn’t. But don’t let that stop you, come to think of it, It has never stopped you before.
We had a royal barfing party this week. Everybody was fighting for their turn with the toilet. I was even pushing people out of the way for my chance to pay homage to the indoor plumbing gods. Magically the amount of laundry was not staggering. Most midnight barfing episodes made it into the carefully placed bedside barf buckets and the unwanted dinner menu that did make it onto the sheets did not make it onto the floor as well. So need less to say we had a stomach bug go through here. And No I did not food poison anybody, at least not on purpose. Hunter, and Jon were sick a full 24 hours before the rest of us decided to join in their game. And no I don’t think we had the swine flu. My house may look like pigs live here but we don’t allow that kind of riffraff at our house.
We were so excited we had just about finished weaning the baby goat, “stew” off of his mother “Chocolate” and Chocolate was giving us about a gallon a day! “which is awesome for a goat, in case you did or did not care.” And then on Saturday Morning we found her in a big bloody mess out in the yard. Something, we think coyotes or more likely wild dogs, perhaps a big wooden badger, came out and got a hold of her and killed her. We were not happy about this set back in our self -reliance program. Our cheep milk just got very expensive, just when we figured in two months we would pay off our initial investment. So we did what any stupid self reliant person would have done and checked the internet and found a new milking goat, drove to the Preston area, forked over some more of the green stuff ( no I am not talking about hay or grass) and drug a new goat with her two KID goats to the Woodin Nickel. The momma has not been milked before and we did the mean thing and took away her KIDS immediately and started taking all of her milk for ourselves. We should right, I mean it is OUR grass and weeds that she is eating and turning into milk, we should get some of the spoils.
This week It has continued to rain, and rain A LOT! I even told Jon that I don’t remember moving to Seattle! We have enjoyed the blessing of not worrying about the water and the garden is growing great. I have moved every plant out of the green house this week with the exception of about 20 tomato plants. I keep looking for a good home for them but, Nobody seems to want them. I have already planted 30 plants of my own and do not need more to try to weed around or harvest. So now my flower barrels are full of flowering plants and my vegetable gardens are eagerly waiting for the law of the harvest to take place. My kids are thrilled that the radishes are ready to pick already, and have been crunching on them even though they make their little mouths “HOT”. There are pea pods on the vines that look like you could pick them by this weekend and enjoy a very yummy green treat. And Stiles picked a strawberry today and brought it in to me so I could watch him eat it before I had the chance to demand my tax on the product. But don’t be disillusioned by this report. There are thistle getting bigger and pokier with every rainfall. And I have seen some pretty good sized dandelion plants on the premises. I try to put down some weed killing chemicals but it keeps on raining and it is hard to time it right so that I can kill weeds at the same time the sun is shinning.
So my week has thus been summed up for you. Rain, barf, and a dead goat. Oh and Jon caught that gopher that alluded him for quite some time. Now that the clock has officially made it past the midnight hour I might add a quick Happy Birthday to MOM who turned 29 again this year. She will spend the day riding in a car back from Florida on her Birthday. I hope she has a good day! Oh and do you have any idea how hard this week was on me with Mom driving to Florida with MJ, AND Camille on a family Vacation for the week! I mean I have had nobody to talk to! FOR DAYS! I had to talk to Jon and my kids! At least Camille is home now and I can have my hour long conversation with her again.
We love you very much and are proud of you and your example to others.

Love from the Woodin Nickels!

No comments: