Our Handful of Children

Hunter, William, and Wyatt

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Nicknames

I was just thinking about my name. It of course being Monica Gayle . As a child my mother, after having three boys, called me Monica Dolly so much I was quite convinced that Dolly was my middle name. I was fairly disapointed when my mother realized my confusion and told me the truth about my name. At the time I thought my name was a bit weird and spelled kind of funny. Later I realized that my name was a combination of both of my parents middle names. Gay, my mothers, and Del, my fathers. Few of my parents 9 children have boasting rights to being named after our parents. MJ and Camille have claims from Dads name but I am the only one who gets Moms. And so far this is true of all of the grandchildren. So there I am special. But I am not writing this becuase of Moms influence on my name. Rather the Influence DAD has had on my name. See when I was a small child Dad nicknamed me MUSH because I mushed his heart. It expanded to Mushcake which is currently a term of enderment from my brothers. As Well as the nickname CA which was bestowed upon me by my baby Brother because he was too lazy to call me or my sisters by our full names and nicknamed us ALL "CA". For some reason, "CA" stuck with me. Camille has moved on to Mille and Crystal will forever be Annie or Bacon Biscut (who knows why) Anyway back to the name Dad nicknamed me. I have not given the nickname much thought, it has been used only by my closest family members and as a joke when ever hot cereal was served, but that is a different story. Recently when I attened the funeral of my Paternal Grandmother I happened to sit down across the table from my Great Uncle Joe. And as I was explaining to Uncle Joe that I was Michaels oldest daughter Uncle Joe burst out "MUSHY!?!" I am sure I turned a few shades of red and laughed that my Uncle Joe, who has not seen me in probalby 2 decades, remembers me by the silly little nickname that my daddy gave me.
Thanks alot DAD.

3 comments:

Camille said...

Hahahaha!!! You forgot to mention that I am "Millie" to the girls, and "Diller" to the boys. Don't know how that happened either! Love it! Is this the start of your magazine article writing?

Jon Woodins said...

Perhaps. I think it is a start. I really didn't relize that the boys call you Diller. To me you are Millie. But now that you point that out you are right. The Boys do call you Diller

Heather said...

I'll make sure Mike doesn't know about this one. ;) ;) He's a tease sometimes, and I can just hear him now. I think it's pretty cute though! My nickname was Magoo. I loved it until I learned that "MR." Magoo was a man! Oh well........